Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Run (in) This Town

Feel it comin' in the air
Hear the screams from everywhere
I'm addicted to the thrill
It's a dangerous love affair…
gonna run (in) this town



Ok so I know you all want to hear about the first day of school. But in my mind that is second to the most monumentous thing that has happened to me in 4 months. Ok maybe that is stretching it a little bit, but hey…. I am PUMPED! I ran for the first time since my surgery a couple of days ago. I was so excited. I was confined to a very small part of my neighborhood as my host family didn’t want me straying to far from the house alone, but it was so worth it. Today marked my second run and during it a mentally made a list of all the things that happened:
·      Wolf whistles… let me tell you very common.
·      A little boy said to his mom “look at that boy”, mom responded, “That’s a girl”. Glad I am so feminine. 
·      A ran by, on the side walk, a herd of cows wandering seemingly on their own down the street.
·      A creepy Indian guy tried to get me to smoke hookah with him.
·      I met my cousin on the street and had to stop to exchange kisses and greetings.
·      Turns out my cousin wanted me to help her with her English homework so my run had to be cut short to make it home before dinner to help her.
·      Everybody and their grandma’s dog barked at me. (Everybody in Ecuador has a dog… or 5)
·      Can you say stares… apparently a super tall while GIRL running down the street inst very common.
·      The list could go on forever… but there are a few high lights.

So pretty much I am so excited than I can run again and it is going to keep me sane here. (And at least a little in shape.)

Ok, now the first day of school. Let me just say that it was the most overwhelming and emotional day since the first day I arrived in my host family. Everybody at the school was very nice and super accepting. But I hadn’t been forced into an environment with so much happening so quickly in Spanish. Early on in my stay I was asked what my favorite subject was… I responded with Bio. So I apparently got put in the specialty (in the top grade, the one I am in you have to specialize, like having a major) of Bio and Chem. That, my friends, is not easy in Spanish. Or in general. Everybody here has had 3 years of chemistry already and I haven’t had any. And add Spanish everything into it and I was as lost as a little girl in a mall (do little girls get lost in malls?!?). Tomorrow I should be switched to Math as my major, I am feeling more solid about this as it is something that is a lot more cross language. J Some details about school. It starts at 7 and ends at 1 with two 15-minute brakes in the middle. The teachers more class rooms, not the students. I have to wear a super cute uniform, a picture is attached. I will try to write more about school soon, but it is bedtime for me as to get to school on time I have to get up at 5:30. Ugg. Miss you all (if there is anybody reading this anyway)!

Livin’ live on the loose
Me in my super cute uniform! ;)
(first day of school!)

5 comments:

  1. You go "Runner Gal" - keep on truckin - great story - thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the math change worked out!
    I like the cow part of the run, maybe feels a little like home on the farm? Not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I posted once and it disappeared.

    Things I did not see on your running list:
    * You got winded, tired or sore
    * Your hip hurt
    * You wished you weren't such a tall, white, girl
    * You accepted the offer and sat down to some hookah with the creepy Indian guy
    * You got bored!

    Way to go! The running should be a great release.

    After a while perhaps people will be used to seeing you and, while it might be as odd, they won't be so surprised. You'll be a Guarandian legend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey El,

    Can't seem to post on your most recent entry, but I love your street alpha. And glad to hear you're running. Way to hum!

    XOKaren

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are many people who live with missing teeth and this condition are very common in the East hartford area. The importance of regular dentist visits cannot be stressed enough. If you miss more than three dentist visits within a year, you should make an appointment for a dental check-up with your regular dentist. You should have a dental x-ray done if there are visible signs of decay or if you have any gum disease.
    Teeth whitening

    ReplyDelete