Friday, September 23, 2011

Once in a Lifetime


I know that what I've found is once in a lifetime
(and) I know there's no way out
Cuz it's once in a lifetime

I know it has been a while since I have written… there are three reasons for that: 1) Life is becoming routine and it seems harder to find crazy things to write about. I just sorta go about my days and it’s starting to feel normal. I love that. 2) I have made a pact with myself that I am going to be on the computer less because then that way I interact with less English and I learn more Spanish. I also get to spend more time with my family. 3) Life has been quite busy and I just don’t find a lot of time to do all the personal things I want to do. Like journaling, writing this blog, sleeping, eating, reading… ect. But it’s happening. Now get ready!
So last weekend we had our official “one month in Ecuador orientation”. It was a wonderful weekend of friends from all over the world who are going threw the same things as me. We got to catch up and speak English. I am not going to lie; I think it is the first time I have been in my comfort zone since I got here. I could communicate freely and have real deep conversations. This is not to say that I don’t talk when I am with my host family, but the deep conversations are hard to have. I had some conversations on books, USA politics (BOOOO you North Carolina), and just about life it was so nice. We also were staying at a quite nice hotel place; the comfort food and nice beds were a nice get away as well. While it was hard to pull my self away from those interactions and that life, it was good to get back home and be with my family.
            My family, people have been asking about my family and want to know more, so here goes nothing. In my house is my mom, Jaddy. She works at the post office and has a great heart. I like her a lot, even though we have been having some trouble getting over the language barrier. Also in my house is my grandmother, mamita. She is the sweetest woman ever and I love spending time with her. I have found that she just loves it when you offer to help, she will never ask, and often when you do ask will say no, but if you do it anyway she is tickled. Near by live my aunt, uncle, 3 cousins, and one other exchange student. They are all very sweet and I find my self spending a lot of time at there house, because it is always busy with activity and even when all the parents are at work there are people there. That is a very brief run down of my family and what goes on with them. Keep in mind that that is only about .0001 of my family and they are everywhere. But they are the ones I spend the time with.
            Ok so the next big thing in my life is school. I started out in a class specializing in chemistry… that was a serious struggle. Now I am in a class focusing on math. I am so much more a fan of this. My class is super small… 15 other kids other than me. I like them all a lot and now that we are over the language thing we goof around just like my friends at home. They found out I am ticklish… that has been fun. The jumper cables never stop. On Monday I will be putting feathers in all their hairs... they are pretty pumped when they heard I had more. Classes are hard, but getting earlier by the day. Philosophy and lit are by far the hardest. But the teachers are willing to help. Fun fact of the day… and by that I mean the shittyist thing I have heard in a long time… teachers here earn $.85 per hour they teach. How they live I don’t know, what is wrong with our world and its value of education. Anyway… life is good and treating me well. Of course I have my down times, but they are way out numbed by the ups. I miss you all and love you tons and tons.

Livin’ life on the loose. 

4 comments:

  1. Ellie,

    It's good to hear the daily things. Don't worry that all you report needs to be wild. We all like hearing about this kind of "boring" (but not really boring) things. Glad it's settling down a bit. You go, girl!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of feathers in your whole classes' hair. Can you take a picture when you do it? Miss you sweetie - thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog entry Ellie! In some ways, insights on your Ecuadorian "day to day" are the most interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto the other comments about loving to hear about the day to day. That stuff is fascinating. Similar interesting topics: food, clothes, daily schedule, what a class is like, what everything smells like, what the other kids in your class are like, what the PLANTS are like, have you seen birds or animals, what jobs do people do...etc. I love the feather story--are you doing that after school?
    People are still having trouble figuring out how to post comments. Hopefully that will get figured out.

    Love you loads, XX OO Mom

    ReplyDelete