Sunday, April 8, 2012

When two families/worlds colide.

I love the family
Longer than longevity
Mother tells me what to be
Taller than the tallest tree
I love the family
Sister loves me tenderly
Sitting on my daddy's knee


Crazy. That is the one word to describe life currently. I have such a hard time finding things to write about because it is all so normal now. In a mere two and a half months I will be on an airplane headed back to the states. This fact makes me overwhelmingly sad and excited at the same time. I love it here. I love the family that has taken me in and now calls me their daughter, sister, friend, I love the other AFSers who I hang out with on a daily basis who have helped me get though the craziest moments in Ecuador, I love my house and its crazy number of stairs, I love being able to speak, think, and communicate in Spanish, I even love the seven grain and fish stew that we ate for good Friday. But I know going home will be a good thing, it will be change and it will be a new chapter of my life. This summer holds adventures and fun as it always does, but it will start off bitter sweet for me. I have already shed tears over the prospect of having to go, note to self do not listen to I’m Leaving on A Jet Plane, it holds to true to my situation. 

The US family with Guaranda in the background.

My parents and sister came for a week and half visit a couple weeks ago and it was wonderful but also a lot more work than I was expecting. We started off our crazy family adventures by picking them up in Quito where my whole family decided they needed to be their to pick them up, even though I told them it was not needed. Then I threw them head first into ecua culture by a night at my Grandmothers house in Quito. The next day after a lot of conversations and negotiating we headed off to Mindo, a small town 3 hours out of Quito where we rode horses, went bird watching (saw over 50 species in 2 hours one morning!!!), swam in waterfalls, soared above the Ecuadorian jungle and just had a lot of good catch up time. My Ecuadorian host mom joined us for this part of our crazy adventure and it was then I realized how much I have been just going with the Ecuadorian culture and how much translating of culture (and language) I had to do for her and for my US family. Everything from the fact that we like to eat big breakfasts in the States and smaller lunches to how my family talks about every decision and it is not just the decision of the “man of the family”. It was very eye opening for me and for the others as well. Then we headed back to Quito where we dropped off my host mom who had to head back to Guaranda because she had classes at the university and we headed to a town called Baños. Here we spent some serious family time just chatting, going to the natural hot baths in the morning, eating food that is not rice and meat, and just enjoying each other’s company. After that it was off to my town (Guaranda la ciudad de mi corazón.) where we spent a crazy week with my family doing everything that anybody would ever want to do in my little town. We went to markets, near by towns, statues on hills, families houses, to eat cuy (guide pig), and I, unfortunately, had to go to school some days.  It was awesome to get to show them my life here and very tiring because the easy life I have built for my self was thrown away and I was the host, not the one being hosted, and I had to live up to the standards of Ecuadorian hosting, they are quite high. But it was fun. We finished out the trip by heading to Otavalo a huge market city right out side of Quito that has everything you could possibly want to buy in Ecuador. It was like a huge farmers market but with things not as much food. It was wonderful and I got a lot of my shopping for gifts done there. Then back to Quito and the airport to drop them off and send them back to the states. A wonderful visits that I won’t soon forget. Thanks guys! <3

Now I am just finishing what we would call in the states spring break, but here it is Easter vacation (separation of church and states is no existent here). It has been a very calm week and a half of vacation, I haven’t traveled much but I have been able to keep my self fairly occupied. I spent a lot of time helping teach English classes, hanging out with the other AFSers, helping out in the house, going on errands with my host mom and just chilling. It has been a wonderful break, but tomorrow school starts again. But don’t you worry; I won’t work too hard, the next week I am off to the Galapagos with AFS. It should be awesome.

Livin’ Life on the Loose

4 comments:

  1. Nice to hear a few of the stories from your side of things, Ellie. I am enjoying hearing from R&J about some of your adventures. Hooray for fish stew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've heard some about the adventures from your folks and I know there is so much more to hear about the double family extravaganza! Over the days, weeks, months, and years, these stories will emerge, painting an ever more complex picture. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Thanks for the vivid descriptions. Sometimes I think I can almost taste or smell or hear or see what you are experiencing. Enjoy the Galapagos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh I just saw this--I had missed the new post.

    It is cool to hear about it from your point of view. It was a crazy culturally mixed up whirlwind of a visit. wonderful, challenging, eye-opening, exciting, interesting--just great!!! Thanks for all of your work to make the visit so great--all the bits, large and small.

    Your visit will be going so fast from here. Love you tons, Mom

    ReplyDelete