Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Everything’s Just Wonderful


Everything's just wonderful,

I'm having the time of my life.

10 Things I have learned in Ecuador:

1) How to be flexible. This is truly one of the most important things for Americans to learn and realize when they step into the world of Ecuas. We are used to always moving always doing stuff and never having time to just drop life and do what needs to be done. Here… you run into your grandma in the street, well that meeting can wait. It’s times to talk, catch up, and share a moment together.  It was hard at first, but I find that I really enjoy the fact that people and connections often come above all other.
2) How to eat rice like its nobodies business. My US family knows that the meals with a base of rice aren’t my favorite. Well here that is not an option. If I didn’t eat rice I would literately not be eating anything. Rice is the starch of choice for lunch, dinner, snacks, sometimes breakfast, and any time you’re hungry. Just put that spoon in the rice pot and you have a snack. I now love rice and know how to cook it so its fully and yummy. New diet staple for me.
3) How to daydream. Ok I don’t know if this is good or bad, but it’s something I have become an expert at. Because of the mentioned above #1 you often finding your self waiting… what better way to pass the time than daydreaming?!? Popular topics include: camp, FGC Gathering, food, the next day, my family… pretty much anything works.
4) How to eat meat. Ok so maybe I knew how to do it, but I have never eaten meat like this before. Two times a day… at least. Changing from a vegetarian to this… quite the new thing for this girl. True life.
5) How to take a bucket bath. I guess I am relearning this on because it was a specialty of mine when we lived in Tanzania, but it takes some talent and planning (not using all the hot water) to get all the conditioner out of you hair… and believe me… you regret it if you don’t.
6) I am now a master at Skype. As it is my only means of verbal communication with the States it has become a good friend of mine. I can fix most problems (not all) and went from having now idea how to navigate it to being a beast at it.
7) Sleeping through anything… dogs barking, music playing, drunk people yelling, your sisters boyfriend spreading “te amo” in wood chips out side of your window and lighting them on fire (I didn’t sleep through Vicky barging into my room telling me too look out the window though. J), just about anything… if you want sleep here this is a much needed skill.
8) I have gotten some pretty crazy clauses from writing everything in school. While we have books these are not used very much at all and everything has to be written down. When you have homework you must write the question (in red) and the answer (in blue). We take a ton and a half of notes and short cuts are just not appreciated here.
9) Make empanadas. That’s right… I can now make the amazing little fried pockets of queso. And dang are they good. I may be a little slower at making them than the average Ecuadorian, but I am getting there. J
10) Spanish… sorta. Ok so much Spanish is so much better than it was when I came here. I can have conversations and get understand most of what people say. I am still learning and it’s hard to incorporate all the different tenses, but if I think about it I can do it. Its’ coming along. 






3 comments:

  1. Hunka burnin' love! Is this relationship still a secret with the evidence in ashes outside the window?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it still is... I think enough people had walked over it by the next morning to have it be a little less obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eat rice like it is nobody's business
    Daydream like you're surrounded by joy
    Sleep like tomorrow can wait, and
    Spend you day like you have time for love

    Just what I am hearing in your great post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete