Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane...

My bags aren’t packed, but I'm ready to go. This Thursday I depart on my Ecuadorian Escapade and I can’t put all of my feelings into words. It has been a crazy summer starting off with a wonderful trip to Philadelphia to see my family. Soon I was off to FGC to hang out and recharge with my Quaker friends (it was an amazing year as always). Right after Quaker camp I headed off to my second home, Camp Black Hawk, where I spent a month in my element kayaking, painting, playing games, laughing, and living in tents. I got back home from CBH 4 days ago and I am looking at tomorrow as my last full day in this states. Soon I will be saying goodbye to my Wisconsin home.

Over the last four days I have said good-bye to my dearest friends and had many last hugs (for the year that is). I have bought the last essentials, backed up my computer, had a family going away party and attempted to wrap my head around the fact that I really am headed to Ecuador!!! Now I am starting to get packed and preparing to leave.

Where will I be leaving to??? I will be living in the city of Guaranda. This is the capital of the province of Bolivar in Ecuador. Guaranda is a city 8,000 ft up in the Andie Mountains with a peak summating at 20,000 ft towering over the city. Guaranda is known for the amazing markets that take place there and their huge celebration of the festival Carnival. I have two host family members, a host mother who is in her 70’s and a host sister who is in her 30’s. Apparently there are many other members of my family who live in the same area. These families have 5 kids under the age of 11. I am so excited and nervous to meet my family. My host sister friended me on Facebook the other day and we had a brief chat conversation. When I told her (in my choppy Spanish) that my Spanish was bad she reassured me that it was ok and that she would teach me. With both my and mom around the computer in the kitchen we were able to have a little bit of communication. It was awesome to get to know her a very little bit more. It is going to be a wonderful year. I am super pumped and know it’s going to be the time of my life.

So far nothing is in my suitcase and I still have a lot of laundry to do… so I must go get on that.

Livin’ life on the loose.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have a cellular device up there? How am I supposed to contact you, I don't think our telepathy will work this far apart. TELL ME EVERYTHING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue... thanks so much.

    Muskrat... I will probably have a cell in Ecuador... but skype will be the main means of our communication. :)

    ReplyDelete